Sister Jenika Hull will be serving in the Ecuador, Quito North mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Follow her weekly updates here............

Monday, July 6, 2015

Chicken Feet

Mom,

Wow what a week it sounds like you had, a fun weekend. I remembered it was the 4th of July and sang all the most patriotic songs I could think of and wore red and blue. (didn't quite get the white in there but tis bien) Frog racing sounds like a party and I don't know if I would touch them but you know with what I have touched here I wouldn't be as scared as I would have before.

What?!?! You know Mallory's mom. Haha I know we are related but that is just weird to think that we are. Has there been any Studio C lately?

The tribute to Grandpa sounds really nice. And I want to see the DVD after my mission that jasmine put together.

I just have to say I am very grateful to be American. I know that our country definitely is not perfect but because of those that founded it, with there faith in a greater being, they were able to create a wonderful country. A country where our Father in Heaven could restore the true and everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ that would and will never be taken from the earth again. We do need to be strong in our beliefs always and always need to be willing to stand up for them but The United States of America is a wonderful place to live and to grow but more especially Utah and even more Hyde Park and Tremonton. hydeparkpride

Well my new area is soooooo campo. There is nothing but houses, a tienda(store) here and there are dirt roads and a few people. It is beautiful and I really love it. The people are even more humble and wiling to give. They are really great. Carabuela is about 15 minutes north west of Otavalo so we get to come to Otavalo on pdays!! Also we don't live in our sector. We live with the Hermanas of Cotama which is right next to Otavalo because someone broke into the other house in Carabuela in the last cambio so we are in the search process of finding a new house.

There are soo many differences. People take there cows on walks like dogs. They just live even more simply and have even less. The only thing on the wall of the obispo(bishops) is his marriage picture and certificate of sealing in the temple. That is it. A lot of the time we are sitting on cinder blocks or whatever is around. The capilla(chapel) and ward is a whole lot smaller and everything is in Quichua. The younger folks understand Spanish but they still talk Quichua more unless we are there. The older folks only know very little Spanish and so it is difficult with that. All the church meetings are in Quichua including ward council and so that is really fun haha. No, it is kind of frustrating because I am just starting to really understand Spanish and speak a bit better but it is all up to the Lord.
Hermana Quiros and me are very different and like different things and lived very different lives but she is great. I am really going to learn a lot more patience with myself because what bothers me is a part of her culture and so I can't change that and it is probably the same with me but we will work hard and both have desires to strengthen this ward in any way we can. So we will do some good work!!! My Spanish has improved a lot because I can only speak Spanish to communicate. I also have had to become a lot more confident in speaking. I am the English tutor in our district now so that will be fun.

CRAZY THING OF THE WEEK!!! I ate chicken feet!! What?! I know it sounds gross and it looks even more gross but the taste isn't half bad it is just soo weird!! haha yeah Jasmine you would have died here ;)

I know this is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that I am a just an instrument in the hands of the Lord and am so grateful for this opportunity. I know change is for growth and that love is the most powerful thing in missionary work. If there isn't love and the spirit than no one will change. I am learning to love more everyday and just as it said in my setting apart blessing my heart will grow big enough to love all the people and that is already coming true!! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!! It is the hardest thing I have ever done but also sooo rewarding!!

I love you so much!! have a fantastic week!!
Love with all my whole heart
Hermana Hull

I am super excited to get your package still and don't care if they opened it. Please send if you feel it will make it sweet and salty almond granola bars. Just whatever you think will make it and you know me so well so I will be glad with the surprise. I really doubt they open every package especially the envelopes. I don't know whatever you think. Love you.
Chicken Feet Soup


No comments:

Post a Comment